Saturday, November 04, 2006

back to Boneggi

I'm all excited about being able to load photos from my Mac (ok, only one so far, but I still maintain that Macs are the best) so I'm not going to write about Gizo until I've downloaded some photos.

Instead, the trip to the beach on Sunday 22. I walked to the designated meeting spot where us vollies were supposed to be congregating (or so I thought). Noone was there, so I dropped off the food I had brought (potato salad with megapod eggs from Victoria) and wandered on in the general direction of Boneggi.

This first shot, on the right, is a typical local house; not all have this 'location location location', but they're generally pretty small leaf houses, and the small bit on the left is the outdoor kitchen (the toilet is most likely the beach, hence the need to travel so far out of town for a swim).

The shot underneath shows the contrast with an expatty abode - the building to the right is probably the security shack...


Had a really good day despite the lack of coordinated vollie activity - got a ride from some fellow beach-goers (wouldn't have made it to Boneggi otherwise), had a nice snorkel, nice walk back from the fish BBQ stall somewhere starting with T out past somewhere starting with K (ah, the disadvantages of writing too late!), and got some nice shots. I think I'm a little obsessed with graffiti and painted stores at the moment... I quite liked this little Marxist comment.


The snorkelling was really good - masses of fish today, maybe because it was a bit rough and the water was a bit stirred up. I think my lung capacity and ability to equalise is improving too. Maybe someone can explain to me why the top layer of the water was really murky and unclear, but as soon as I dived down under a bit it was much better? Seemed really strange...

I saw these boys playing in a stream outlet on the way and couldn't resist the 'cute' shot. One of the advantages of a digital camera is that I could show them the photo afterwards.

3 Comments:

At 2:17 pm, Blogger Mummy/Crit said...

Cool, so how'd you get the photos to load? And I'm looking forward to hearing about Gizo.

 
At 4:45 pm, Blogger laura said...

Hi Crit - I don't know why, but it just worked when I tried loading them on my Mac (just through blogger, editing the post). Don't know why it wasn't working on the PC...

And hi Chris too. I don't think I've seen any hornworts yet - just lots of fungi and ferns. I haven't even noticed all that much moss! I did see some nice orange lichen on one side of a stand of coconuts... will try to take photos of anything that I do see.

 
At 9:54 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laura

Just as well you've noticed lots of fungi. I do of course expect a full report on all those Solomons fungi in a year's time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home